Many of us don’t think about the maintenance of our refrigerator until there is a problem. Poorly maintained refrigerators can lead to accidents, spoiled food, increased utility bills and other unimaginable issues.
Below are 12 proven ways you can extend the life of your fridge. Before you go looking online for fridges for sale, be sure you take note of these tips.
1) Clean off any spills or splatters on the outside as soon as they happen to help prevent stains from forming. Wipe down all surfaces with warm water and soap at least once per week to remove bacteria buildup.
2) Keep an eye on your cooling coils for signs of frost buildup, which could indicate that it’s time to replace your refrigerator’s air filter.
3) Replace the water filter every six months if you want cleaner drinking water (and ice). If there are water stains on the front part of your refrigerator, you might need to replace the water filter more often.
4) Don’t overload your fridge with food. Give it some breathing room so that the cold air can circulate properly.
5) Make sure the door seals tightly by closing it on a piece of paper. If you can pull the paper out easily, then the seal needs to be replaced.
6) Defrost your freezer regularly and keep an eye on frost buildup on the inside walls.
7) Make sure that all items are fully defrosted before putting them back into the fridge. Never overload your fridge with large amounts of unfrozen foods as they can block cold air circulation, which reduces energy efficiency levels over time.
8) Remove items from your refrigerator and freezer before turning them off for an extended period of time (e.g., when you’re going on a vacation).
9) Check the temperature setting and make sure it is at a consistent level. Settings that are either too low or too high can increase energy costs.
10) Use a vacuum to clean out any dust or dirt that has accumulated on the back of your fridge. This will help maintain air circulation and energy efficiency.
11) Keep your fridge away from heat sources, such as ovens or radiators, which can increase its temperature inside.
12) Finally, remember to always unplug your refrigerator before doing any repairs or cleaning inside (unless otherwise instructed by the manufacturer).
Like many household appliances, a refrigerator is a long-term investment—which is why it’s important to get one that’s durable and will last for years to come. Apart from that, you also want a brand that offers first-rate customer service.
The importance of a good customer support team is underrated. If you think about it, appliances are not cheap. If your fridge is still under warranty and it breaks down, you would want a friendly, knowledgeable team to help you get it back up and running as soon as possible without any headaches on your end. For this, you might need to do a little research on which brands offer the finest customer support.