Organizations need to safeguard sensitive data and discourage its inadvertent disclosure to comply with company norms and industry laws. Sensitive information may include financial data or personal information (PII) such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, or health records. With the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center’s Data Loss Prevention (DLP) policy, you can recognize, track, and safeguard sensitive information automatically across Office 365. Microsoft introduced Data Loss Prevention Policy to maintain organizations’ sensitive and essential information secure. In this article, we will discuss how to set up a data loss prevention policy in Microsoft Office 365.
Methods to setup data loss prevention policy in Microsoft Office 365
Saving sensitive information provides benefits and the creation of Data Loss Prevention Policy requires two components – one location such as OneDrive for Business, Exchange Online, and another location are Terms. Follow the steps below to establish a data loss prevention policy:
- First, log in to Office 365 and click on Admin under the Apps
- Under the admin, centers click on the Security & compliance option.
- Opt for Data loss prevention and then select Policy.
- Just click on +Create a policy in the Office 365 Data loss prevention section, to generate a new DLP.
- Go to choose the information to protect in the New DLP Policy window then add details like Financial >> Financial Data and click on Next.
- Under Name your policy, provide a suitable name & description to the policy and then click on Next.
Also, Read About: QuickBooks Reconciliation Discrepancy
- Now go to the Choose locations section and click Next to choose a place as required. This step demonstrates what portion DLP is going to be used on. Here are two possibilities:
- All Office 365 sites. Includes content in email exchange and records from OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Let me select particular places.
- If the above steps are completed effectively, go to the Simple or Advanced environments and there will be the rule editor that provides complete control over the policy environment. But the common one includes easy configurations.
- Finally, click Save to apply the configuration of the DLP security policy.
You may also read this blog Unlock a password protected word document.
In Microsoft Office 365, we addressed in detail how to set up a data loss prevention policy. When a disaster could happen, it’s difficult to say and in Office 365 you can lose significant delicate information and data. That’s why the DLP policy is essential, keeping an eye on all Office 365 activities.