The cyber-world appears to be made up of two competing and diametrically opposed camps. One camp is working hard to connect people around the world and within countries to enhance information and communication flow. Furthermore, to expand the reach of the internet, increase online business communication and ease of doing business, and generally make the internet more convenient and accessible to people.
The other group, the camp of hackers, fraudsters, and organized cybercriminals is out to make life difficult for internet users and businesses. They are out there looking for vulnerabilities and security flaws on users’ devices and browsing habits to exploit in order to hack internet users. They do this to breach their privacy, steal sensitive personal information, and use them to benefit themselves through fraudulent means. Data breaches have become more common. Daily, millions of cyber attacks are launched against internet users with massive data breaches.
In the year 2022, data breaches have become more subtle and sophisticated. As more people use the internet daily, the number of potential targets has increased. And their favorite object of attack is internet browsers. The internet browsers are internet users’ gateway to the cyber world and hold a lot of sensitive information. Browsing history, IP address, location, passwords, and other sensitive details. Hence, cybercriminals target it. In order to ensure their security and privacy, internet users must take deliberate measures to protect their browsers. The following are some of the steps internet users can take:
- Use the Latest Versions of Browsers: In 2022, the increased number of persons working from home due to the Covid-19 pandemic has meant that hackers have increased the spate of attacks. And internet browsers, due to the wealth of information they hold are favorite targets. Irrespective of the browser an internet user uses, it is extremely important and essential for the user to use the latest version. This is because every internet browser has its vulnerabilities and it is these vulnerabilities cybercriminals export to hack users. Manufacturers of browsers routinely notice vulnerabilities in their browsers and introduce newer versions that fix discovered vulnerabilities and enhance security. A user will be making his or herself vulnerable to attacks if the person continues using older versions of browsers that cybercriminals know their vulnerabilities. Browsers should be set to automatically update to the latest versions to enhance security and ensure privacy.
- Use Strong Passwords: To ensure security and enhance the privacy of users’ data, browsers and devices should be protected with strong passwords that hackers cannot guess. A typical strong password would comprise a combination of alpha-numeric keys both upper and lower case letters. A strong password helps users restrict access to their browsers and ensures that only authorized persons can access it. Furthermore, activating two-factor authentication gives users an added layer of security and ensures that even if cybercriminals get hold of their password, they can still not access their accounts.
- Install Antivirus: One of the ways hackers try to illegally access users’ data is by infecting browsers and devices with the virus. A strong and capable antivirus protects users’ browsers from this vulnerability.
- Practice digital hygiene: One of the most effective ways to ensure your privacy in 2022 is through practicing digital hygiene. Digital hygiene requires internet users to be security-conscious and mindful of what sites they visit, what they download, and how they relate with people online. Internet users should avoid clicking on links promising offers that are too good to be true or the ones that try to scare them. Asking Internet users to click on a link to download an update to patch a security flaw is a red flag. Those links are mostly from cybercriminals trying to launch phishing scams.
- Use Apps with Cybersecurity Features: For improving web browser security, internet users should install security suites and apps that enhance security. For instance, Hoody, a Bulletproof Privacy Network (BPN), can help you keep your privacy and security. When you use Hoody with your browser, each tab and website gets its own IP, location, and new Fingerprints, keeping tracking impossible. The future-proof tech of Hoody Phantom Browsing™ outperforms even the most sophisticated and intrusive tracking methods.
- Block Third-Party Cookies: Cookies are used by advertisers and websites to collect sensitive details about internet users such as location, gender age, and preferences and are used to direct targeted ads at users. Hackers could target these details and branch users’ data, hence the need to block them where necessary.
Conclusively, 2022 has so far been a year of increased internet activities. So also hackers have increased their spate of attacks and methods. Internet users should be mindful that on the internet, criminals are just a few clicks away, and take security measures to protect them.